NVW239C

Want to find out if your old LC is still about? Leave details here.

Moderator: LCR Members

tommy
Woodrim
LCR Membership Number: 1693

Post by tommy »

If I remember right this car still survives and was sold for about £20000 to £30000 a number of years ago. What a bargain by todays prices!
Tommy
martin k
Minilite monster
LCR Membership Number: 1981

Post by martin k »

i remember looking at this car in tottenham n/london in the 90's sometime.i did write to the mag about it.my mate said his boss had a l/c in his workshop,i thought it more than likely just a standard car,but it was the above car. i think it could have been bought very cheaply then.why didn't i ? :(
Bertil
Front wheel lifter
LCR Membership Number: 2045

Post by Bertil »

Didn´t this car go to Norway, and after that to Japan.
Dag-Henning Nielsen
Learner Driver
LCR Membership Number: 0

Post by Dag-Henning Nielsen »

You are absolutely right Bertil! The car was owned by the Norwegian "rally-legend" Monty Karlan, and sold on auction to Japan abt. mid 90. I believe the sale was followed by a hefty argument, because the car was advertized as "original", but turned up to be reshelled......... :roll:

Dag
Mark Cramond
Front wheel lifter
LCR Membership Number: 2071

Post by Mark Cramond »

Dag-Henning Nielsen wrote:You are absolutely right Bertil! The car was owned by the Norwegian "rally-legend" Monty Karlan, and sold on auction to Japan abt. mid 90. I believe the sale was followed by a hefty argument, because the car was advertized as "original", but turned up to be reshelled......... :roll:

Dag
Be careful Dag, don't let the others see you using the O or R words.... :)
Lashman
Site Admin
LCR Membership Number: 1855

Post by Lashman »

Where is Hiro? (I don't think he is on the new forum?)
He would know where it is now.
Dag-Henning Nielsen
Learner Driver

Mark Cramond wrote:
Dag-Henning Nielsen wrote:You are absolutely right Bertil! The car was owned by the Norwegian "rally-legend" Monty Karlan, and sold on auction to Japan abt. mid 90. I believe the sale was followed by a hefty argument, because the car was advertized as "original", but turned up to be reshelled......... :roll:

Dag
Be careful Dag, don't let the others see you using the O or R words.... :)
:lol: :lol: Hiro, - that wouldn't be the Emperor, would it..?? :wink:

Dag
tommy
Woodrim
LCR Membership Number: 1693

Post by tommy »

Much as I dislike reshells I think its a bit much expecting the 1966 R.A.C. winning car to be original. As an active competition car, how many times were its engine, gearbox, axle and suspension replaced and it didnt even need a big accident to need a new shell. On a forest rally car shells wear out. Even if it had been put in a museum after the R.A.C. win it would hardly have been original, it would just have been that current version of itself preserved, but I suppose it would at least have been the car that crossed the line. As it was, I am sure it had an active career into the seventies so how many rebuilds would it have needed? Like most old rally cars its like Triggers broom, 5 heads and 6 shafts replaced but still the same broom.
Dag-Henning Nielsen
Learner Driver

- true enough, fully agree with you !! The problem becomes a problem if you claim "originality" , and deliver something different..... :?

Dag
jwoch
Regular
LCR Membership Number: 31

NVW239C

Post by jwoch »

I helped rebuild this car in the early 80s. It was found in Wales. A lot of research established that it was, at that time, possibly not the original shell but certainly included many of the original components of the works car. We subsequently found other original bits which were re-united.
When the car came up for auction some years ago, the auctioneer's description was highly misleading and should not have been offered on that basis.
RallyStar
Learner Driver

Post by RallyStar »

This car was painstakingly resored by my father in the early 80's and as mentioned did involve quite a few original parts (Bengt's oringinal fibreglass custom seat being one of them!). However as someone rightly said, it was a rally car and the condition my old man found it it, it was never going to be totally original. However he restored it to how it would have been when it left Boreham to start the 66 RAC, it was a real credit to him. He sold the car after a few years to Monte Karlan (sp) I think 1987, and after that he never really knew what happened to it other than the odd TV appearance with Roger Clark at the wheel. I see that it sold in 1996 for near enough 20k but does anyone know for certain if it went to Japan? If anyone could shed some more light on this it would be great!

Cheers

James
sutty234
Front wheel lifter

Post by sutty234 »

was it discovered near caernarfon,north wales by any chance?
martin k
Minilite monster
LCR Membership Number: 1981

Post by martin k »

it would have been either 91 or 92 i seen it along with a big yank saloon car racer ss malibu and a bmw race car all in the same unit.i wonder if they all belonged to monte karlan ?
averley10
Learner Driver

Not just a reshell but a complete rebuild.

Post by averley10 »

Having read the posts regarding this car I think I can set the record straight. Once its rally career was over the car ended up in a scrap yard in Bala North Wales. Apparently its back was broken. The man responsible for the cars resurrection bought the log book and dash panel from the scrap yard owner. He then used the roof and 'A' frame from another Mk 1 LC and completely new panels to rebuild the shell. The gearbox was sourced from somewhere in Leeds and all running gear was sourced either from the non related Mk 1 LC or elsewhere. The car was then meticulously prepared to be exactly like the original rally winner and it was put back on the road as the winner of the 1966 RAC rally. There is no doubt in my mind that the car was very professionally prepared but the reader will have to decide if it deserves the title 'winner of the 1966 RAC rally'. Personally I regard it as simply a copy. Does an original dash panel and a log book qualify a car to be reborn, particularly if that car, because of its previous use, is then worth much much more than an equally well prepared 'ordinary Mk 1 LC???
jwoch
Regular
LCR Membership Number: 31

Post by jwoch »

Sorry averley10, but not quite straight! NVW never had an A frame.