Lotus Cortina 1963 Sold in Australia around 1987 !

Want to find out if your old LC is still about? Leave details here.

Moderator: LCR Members

Del From Downunder
Learner Driver
LCR Membership Number: 0

Lotus Cortina 1963 Sold in Australia around 1987 !

Post by Del From Downunder »

Hi Guy's

After moving from " Sunny Margate " to the land of milk & honey Hmmm
I had owned may MKi's but never one so nice as the one I purchased and brought out to keep for ever !
Huh ... Now who is guilty of saying that :lol:

Car was registered in the UK on 5777 TJ and like a fool I said to the guy ... Nah I don't need the registration, not knowing I could have passed it on or kept it some how. Huh If only.

Car was a three owner with original green log book and a huge amount of reciepts.
Arrived with Minilites and the original steel wheels in the boot date stamped on the hub cap lugs 5/1963 or maybe 5/63 i cant remember ... and a new rubber boot mat and of all things a set of full rubber floor covering from memory.

Had 46K on the clock and rear diff housing had been braced. So I'd assume had been on the track at some time.
Had Armstrong shocks and other than that was very neat indeed with absolutley no rust as the guy stored it in one of those dehumidified bubble thingy's ....
Managed to locate the second owner who sent pic's of the replacement door and damage to rear 1/4 when he had an altercation with a chap at Brands around 1967. He also had the old door in his garage, but had managed to replace with a alloy one back then.
Car had a leather motor-lita wheel and the guy i spoke to I was asking Hey ... Wonder where the original went while we talked about cars ... How strange !!! :wink:

He then said I've got it in the garage for old times sake and you can have it.
Got it sent to my brother and he sent it registered post to Oz. Foolishly marking the value at 800 quid loll
Customs jumped on it like a flash for some extra dosh but hey I had what I wanted.

Unfortunately sold it in 1987 to buy a house here car was sold for 13K AU which was about 6K UK sterling :oops:
All I remember that as close as possible the chassis N'o was Z74C 065___D or C
Left these _ out on purpose.

Engine number was very low at LP 206 as I believe at the early stages the engines found their way into both the LC anf the Lotus Elan series 1

Car was sold again to a chap in Melbourne around 1994/5 and the then owner who i had sold it to was Tony Ward from Sydney, and since then I have been keeping my ear close to the ground to no avail, although involved in historic racing since 1983.

Maybe someone can shed some light if it's still out there ? or registered on here.

I also have a few pic's of one other I owned way back in Margate Kent. I can fill in some of it's history to anyone that may own it still ? Had it for approx 2 years.
Also had a 1965 car painted Black with Gold stripe and was set up for serious rallying. Remember thinking how noisy the rally tires were on bitumen.Had some L1's and an LSD with 4.6.

Chap came down from up north to buy it. We went to a big car park at a place called Jose Bay which as always muddy and with plenty of unevenness !
All I remember is hanging on the cage in the pass seat and he was going bloody mad saying Yes yes Yesssss
Thing was battered underside but had sumps up the prop tank guards etc.
Remember a bloke after a run so I just drove off the road and drove across a ploughed field laughing to myself thinking come on then come on !

Sorry for babbling on.

Great to read some of the messages and follow the world of the model of car I simply love to this day.
Still keep a picture on my desk from when it was in the UK waiting to be shipped out.

Cheers .... Del