Original Hand Books and Brochures

Anything related to Lotus Cortinas. (Open to the public.)

Moderator: LCR Members

t1ggyzak
Learner Driver
LCR Membership Number: 0

Original Hand Books and Brochures

Post by t1ggyzak »

Do handbooks and brochures ever come up for sale on this site. I believe there were two handbooks (?) One that said Consul on the cover and the later one that read Cortina. I've looked on eBay and they rarely if ever come up for sale. I suppose this makes them quite expensive if they ever do turn up? I know that there are various brochures . The single sheet ones are available for sale but their quality seems to be quite poor. Again the "book" ones if they do come up will be ultra pricey I suppose.

Thanks.

I've only been registered 5 minutes and I'm picking everyone's brains already !

This is a nostalgia thing. Had two MK 1's many years ago (should NOT have sold)- Hand books and brochures are the best items I'm going to be able to own to take their place.
Rick
COMMITTEE MEMBER
LCR Membership Number: 1292

Re: Original Hand Books and Brochures

Post by Rick »

Handbooks for the Pre airflow, and airflow cars are availble from the LCR these are exact copies, not cheap digital items.
Keith Halstead
LCR Membership Number: 1711

Post by Keith Halstead »

The handbooks do come up for sale on Ebay but buyers will not know if they are a repro from the club or an original in mint condition so beware as the value is hugely different.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111683944061? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Steve 155C
Site Admin
LCR Membership Number: 2037

Post by Steve 155C »

Rick wrote:Handbooks for the Pre airflow, and airflow cars are availble from the LCR these are exact copies, not cheap digital items.
Any they were reprinted so long ago they have the genuine musty smell !
SteveL

Post by SteveL »

How much are the club ones? Pre aeroflow .and series 2 mk2 cheers
David Baldock
Woodrim
LCR Membership Number: 57

Post by David Baldock »

I have an original 'airflow' handbook that was sent to me by Ford in 1993 & a club copy. The original has been kept out of harms way so looks as it did when new. The copy, however, has been carried in the car for the same period & looks it's age. It has oily finger marks & is signed by John Whitmore & Jack Sears on the inside cover.

The green text on the cover of the copy looks to be Sherwood Green where as the original looks more of a grassy green. Also, the text on the copy appears to be positioned more to the left of the pages than the original.

This may seem a meaningless post but it strikes me that the copy looks more original the original.

Which one should I put on ebay?

Dave B
Keith Halstead

Post by Keith Halstead »

SteveL wrote:How much are the club ones? Pre aeroflow .and series 2 mk2 cheers
£10.80 each Mk1 only.
SteveL

Post by SteveL »

Any links?
Steve 155C
Site Admin

Post by Steve 155C »

SteveL wrote:Any links?
I think I have a spare club one. Let me check and I'll drop you a PM on how to pay etc.
Steve 155C
Site Admin

Post by Steve 155C »

David Baldock wrote:I have an original 'airflow' handbook that was sent to me by Ford in 1993 & a club copy. The original has been kept out of harms way so looks as it did when new. The copy, however, has been carried in the car for the same period & looks it's age. It has oily finger marks & is signed by John Whitmore & Jack Sears on the inside cover.

The green text on the cover of the copy looks to be Sherwood Green where as the original looks more of a grassy green. Also, the text on the copy appears to be positioned more to the left of the pages than the original.

This may seem a meaningless post but it strikes me that the copy looks more original the original.

Dave B
It would be interesting to know the print date (usually on the back cover) of your 1993 copy , as I had an original pre-airflow one and it was absolutely identical to the club reprint.
Keith Halstead

Post by Keith Halstead »

Steve 155C wrote:
David Baldock wrote:I have an original 'airflow' handbook that was sent to me by Ford in 1993 & a club copy. The original has been kept out of harms way so looks as it did when new. The copy, however, has been carried in the car for the same period & looks it's age. It has oily finger marks & is signed by John Whitmore & Jack Sears on the inside cover.

Dave B
It would be interesting to know the print date (usually on the back cover) of your 1993 copy , as I had an original pre-airflow one and it was absolutely identical to the club reprint.
That would be identical to the original as Ford had a company called Lait Storage that used to hold stocks of all car literature & we used to be able to order it as 'stationery' items from a catalogue when I worked there with no limits on quantities. When they closed down the Customer Service division at Warley they skipped cupboards full of old stuff. :roll:
Michael Winstock
Mr Picky
LCR Membership Number: 39

Post by Michael Winstock »

The post about print dates is interesting.
My original hand book , on the last page (36), has a printers refence of no. 73488/1066 but my club version, apparenly otherwise identical to the original, has CG24/316671/671 (with no "Ref. no.")
Furthermore, despite them both being for the aeroflow model (complete with appropriate photograph of the dashboard on page 4), they have a "Copyright in Great britain, June 1963" marking on page 3.
I have also always wondered why wiring diagrams for both earlier and later models should have been included.
Lastly, have you noticed that the hand book is for "the additional information necessary for the care and use of your new car and should be used in conjunction with the Cortina Owner's Handbook also supplied".
When I bought my first LC in July 1972, only the Cortina developed by Lotus handbook came with it.
Luckily, I also have the "ordinary" Cortina handbook that came with my father's 1966 GT.
David Baldock
Woodrim

Post by David Baldock »

My original handbook has Ref. No. 532045/386 on page 36 & my club fake has CG24/316671/671 (No Ref. No.)!

Both books have 'Copyright in Great Britain, June 1963' on page 3.

Both show a cover picture of a pre airflow car with the relevant airflow pictures inside.

I too have a Cortina handbook that I lifted from my brother's car when he sold it.

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of why both wiring diagrams shown are for pre airflow cars? Even my 'Autopress ' workshop manual shows them the same. I've never seen a diagram for the airflow cars so presume one never existed?

Dave B
Pete G
Woodrim
LCR Membership Number: 278

Post by Pete G »

Strange, my club supplied Owner's Handbook has pre-aeroflow dash illustrated inside and only one wiring diagram for the early cars with one direction indicator and an oil warning light in the tacho, (is the second diagram showing the later type with two indicator lights without an oil light?).
The Ref No is E8794/663
David Baldock
Woodrim

Post by David Baldock »

Thank's Pete. The later cars have the same diagram (showing the dials in the wrong position), the only change seems to be the left & right indicator lights in the speedo. I'd never noticed that before.

Dave B