Mk2 body advice

Anything related to Lotus Cortinas. (Open to the public.)

Moderator: LCR Members

daverubberduck
Learner Driver
LCR Membership Number: 0

Mk2 body advice

Post by daverubberduck »

I have a MK2 Lotus Cortina that is complete except for the body and dash (long story). All the rest of the interior is there and all mechanicals including gearbox and rebuilt twin cam (and V5 and chassis plate). I'm not sure of the best way forward with this. If I can find a cheap Mk2 2 door Cortina (not Lotus) then will that body be OK for my car? Or does anybody out there have a body they are willing to sell? Or should I sell the car as is, either together or all the parts separately. Any advice gratefully received.
Dave
Lashman
Site Admin
LCR Membership Number: 1855

Re: Mk2 body advice

Post by Lashman »

Hi and Welcome.
I guess it ultimately comes down to what you want to do with the car once built? Motorsport, weekend car, concourse etc.
There is also the arguement that you don't have a car at all if you don't have the body, just some parts. If you already thinking of selling also consider using the mechanicals into something like a caterham and selling of what you don't need.
Cheers
Louis
daverubberduck
Learner Driver

Post by daverubberduck »

H Louis
Many thanks for your reply. To be honest I am an Elan +2 man and I can't afford to have a second classic car, so I need to sell it. The easiest way is to sell it all off as bits, but I hate to break up a classic car. Having said that, the engine is not the original engine, I don't know if that affects the value of the whole car. So my question is - would I make more money by finding a body and rebuilding the car (I would have to pay someone to do the bodywork repair and spray) or should I just sell it all off? I have been looking for a cheap 2 door Cortina of the right age but they are hard to find, so much as it pains me to do it, I may have to sell it as parts.
Dave
NikiDickson
Regular
LCR Membership Number: 2101

Post by NikiDickson »

Hi Dave if you are still looking for a shell I can pass you on the details for a chap I know that has a very good solid 2 door Mk2 shell that has been imported from the States, I am sure it is a LHD shell but it could easily been converted to RHD if required. From what he told me it requires very little other than minor work & painting, so if you are considering restoring the car then this may be an option.
Let me know if this would be of interest?
Niki
daverubberduck
Learner Driver

Post by daverubberduck »

Hi Niki
Many thanks for your reply, and yes I would be interested in that body. I am just about to leave and won't be back until Monday pm. I am not sure how this website works yet, is there a private message service like the Elan site? Anyway, I would love to get that person's details by whatever method. We can sort it out Monday. Must dash.
cheers
Dave
NikiDickson
Regular
LCR Membership Number: 2101

Post by NikiDickson »

Dave I have sent you a PM with the chaps contact details.
Niki
MLI
Petrolhead
LCR Membership Number: 1848

Post by MLI »

No intention to put a spanner in the works/be a party pooper here, but:
I believe the mk2 LC had the "heavy duty" version of the mk2 bodyshell, which means extra strut top plates, + a few other plates/bits here and there.

Not something that couldn't be retrofitted to a "standard"/non-heavy duty shell though, but it all adds up...
daverubberduck
Learner Driver

Post by daverubberduck »

thanks MLI for that information. How big a spanner in the works is that? Does it just mean strengthening certain parts of the body? Is there any information anywhere on the exact differences between the heavy duty and standard bodyshell?
Lashman
Site Admin

Post by Lashman »

just my own opinion but I would'nt suggest building up any classic car just to sell on, unless you are a business set up to do with a list of potential customers.
There will be a bigger market for parts than there is for a car built up without original body and engine etc.
Also a lot less stressful and quicker.
Cheers
Louis
daverubberduck
Learner Driver

Post by daverubberduck »

Hi Louis, thanks for your advice. I have certainly considered that. Do you think it would be best (if I decide to do that) to sell it separately or all the bits together? If together then what do you think it is worth? Just to recap, we are talking everything except body and dash. All seats and interior, original steering wheel, the instruments, all the mechanics including rebuilt twin cam and gearbox, suspension etc, wheels... well everything. And V5 and chassis plate of course.
Dave
Lashman
Site Admin

Post by Lashman »

You are more than welcome to put photos up of items to access interest/value on here.
I don't want to sound preachy but the V5 will need to be sent in as the car is being broken up for parts and the chassis plate is only of value to someone illegally changing the identity of a car, so just keep it for sentimental value.
daverubberduck
Learner Driver

Post by daverubberduck »

OK thanks Louis. I will think about what to do and if I decide to sell it off as bits then I will post photos on here as you say.
cheers
Dave
Sobo1230
Learner Driver

Post by Sobo1230 »

Hi I would like to buy some of your Parts can you ring me 07872962722 Tim