History of 198 KOL?

Want to find out if your old LC is still about? Leave details here.

Moderator: LCR Members

ray8829
Petrolhead
LCR Membership Number: 965

History of 198 KOL?

Post by ray8829 »

I have recently started restoration of the Mk1 above and would like to know if anyone remembers the car. Its last registered owner lived in Derby but the guy I bought the car off never used it on the road and converted it into an autocross car. The Twin Cam was modified to 1300cc and the 'A' frame suspension thrown into a Quarry!! so I have quite a challenge to get it back to something like original. Oh, and it was painted Gold and Red and then because the owner didn't like the colour scheme, he decided to sand it back to bare metal and then abandon the job, and that was 1984!! The car is currently with the sandblaster, so I am not sure what I will find when it gets back.
Steve 155C
Site Admin
LCR Membership Number: 2037

Re: History of 198 KOL?

Post by Steve 155C »

Hi Ray - be careful if its the outer panels. These are not normally sand blasted due to the high risk of warping them. Soda blasting seems to the the weapon of choice for outer panels.
ray8829
Petrolhead
LCR Membership Number: 965

Post by ray8829 »

Thanks for the advise Steve but because of its competition history the only alloy panel left is the driver's side door! My sandblaster is regularly doing alloy panels for old Bentley and Rolls Royce cars so I have every confidence in him, (famous last words).
Paul jorgensen
Regular
LCR Membership Number: 2430

Post by Paul jorgensen »

Hi Ray, sounds like you do have a lot of work ahead. Good luck and enjoy the end result.
Paul

P.s Can you post some pictures!!