Help please! - Anyone Mk1 SE Reg: GGH 129C

Anything related to Lotus Cortinas. (Open to the public.)

Moderator: LCR Members

DrewBuckley
Learner Driver
LCR Membership Number: 0

Help please! - Anyone Mk1 SE Reg: GGH 129C

Post by DrewBuckley »

Hello, I hope you may be able to assist.

My Dad was once the proud owner of a 1965 mk1 Lotus Cortina SE, which he parted company with in the early 70's, shortly after meeting my Mum.

My Dad always lamented selling the car and throughout his life as a garage owner always used to tell my brother and me about the car.

Dad is now 79, half blind and degenerating due to Parkinson's disease. Sadly he gave up driving 6 years ago and I would like to repay him for being such a great Dad by seeing if I can track the car down as this would really lift his spirits.

I know the car was exported to Australia in 1983 from the UK hence my email to you as I thought you may be able to help. The car wore the UK registration of GGH 129C.

Please can you help me, it would mean the world to me.

Thank you in advance.

Andrew Buckley
63 GT
Front wheel lifter
LCR Membership Number: 2170

Post by 63 GT »

I have 13, 1965 model Lotus Cortinas listed on my register here in Australia
None of them show that registration or history.
Maybe a Vin # might help locate it.
I am not aware of any SE models in Australia either.
Doesn't mean it's not here, because my register in far from complete. I keep finding more Lotus Cortinas in Australia on a regular basis.
Sorry I can't help you with much at the moment, I can appreciate what you are trying to do for your father.
Cheers
Jay
David Baldock
Woodrim
LCR Membership Number: 57

Post by David Baldock »

Good luck with the search Drew. I assume you're in the U K. Maybe if you don't find your Dad's car someone might pop over & give him a ride in their's?

Dave B
63 GT
Front wheel lifter
LCR Membership Number: 2170

Post by 63 GT »

David Baldock wrote:Good luck with the search Drew. I assume you're in the U K. Maybe if you don't find your Dad's car someone might pop over & give him a ride in their's?

Dave B
That would be a great gesture.
Good enough for some publicity in the local press.
Would be great to see.
DrewBuckley
Learner Driver

Post by DrewBuckley »

63 GT wrote:I have 13, 1965 model Lotus Cortinas listed on my register here in Australia
None of them show that registration or history.
Maybe a Vin # might help locate it.
I am not aware of any SE models in Australia either.
Doesn't mean it's not here, because my register in far from complete. I keep finding more Lotus Cortinas in Australia on a regular basis.
Sorry I can't help you with much at the moment, I can appreciate what you are trying to do for your father.
Cheers
Jay
Thanks Jay, unfortunately we don't know the vin, unless anyone on here can do some reverse vin look up from the reg number?
DrewBuckley
Learner Driver

Post by DrewBuckley »

David Baldock wrote:Good luck with the search Drew. I assume you're in the U K. Maybe if you don't find your Dad's car someone might pop over & give him a ride in their's?

Dave B
Thanks Dave, if anyone would be generous enough to do that it would be beyond words what it would mean to my Dad, my brother and me. We are in the UK, in Kettering, near to Silverstone and Very close to Rockingham speedway.

I'm going to be awake all night just hoping someone might reply ;-)

Alternatively, if anyone owned the mk1 SE before it was exported and maybe has some pics I would love to hear from you.
David Baldock
Woodrim
LCR Membership Number: 57

Post by David Baldock »

I live in East Sussex but I'm planning to go to The Stamford Car Show (strong family ties) on 24th Aug. Maybe we could work something out around that?

PM me if you'd like my Tel. No. for more info.

Dave B
Scott Simpson
The Gearbox Man
LCR Membership Number: 463

Post by Scott Simpson »

Hi Drew,
Does your father have any photo's of the car from his ownership?Interesting you mention that it was an s/e version, did your Dad buy it
new? It'd be interesting to hear his recollections of the car.
S/e's were extremely rare, with only around 65 cars converted by Lotus.
There were a few cars converted later, with the s/e kit available from Lotus. I have a 64 s/e in fairly good order and although I'm unlikely to get
upto Kettering anytime soon, I plan to go to the cortina 1600E national day, at Billing Aquadrome in July ( I haven't got the date as yet). I'll happily take your dad out for a spin, if you can get him there.
If you let me have your e-mail address, I'll send you a photo, or two if that helps.
Scott
DrewBuckley
Learner Driver

Post by DrewBuckley »

David Baldock wrote:I live in East Sussex but I'm planning to go to The Stamford Car Show (strong family ties) on 24th Aug. Maybe we could work something out around that?

PM me if you'd like my Tel. No. for more info.

Dave B
Thanks Dave, will pm you, irrespective of how able we are to sort something I will certainly come to the show anyway!
Paw
Learner Driver
LCR Membership Number: 621

Re: Help please! - Anyone Mk1 SE Reg: GGH 129C

Post by Paw »

Hello drew I've only just re-joined the register and noticed your request, my dad bought this particular car brand new from fry's of lewisham (ford dealership in se london) he's only got one picture of it if your still interested, sorry if this info is a bit belated, Paul
DrewBuckley
Learner Driver

Post by DrewBuckley »

That would be fantastic!!
Paw
Learner Driver
LCR Membership Number: 621

Post by Paw »

Hello drew I haven't forgotten the picture, it's just that I haven't been round to my dads to sort the photo out, I'm hoping to get round there tomorrow (24th) and then I'll post it for you, regards Paul