175 TJH

Want to find out if your old LC is still about? Leave details here.

Moderator: LCR Members

Ian61
Learner Driver
LCR Membership Number: 2400

175 TJH

Post by Ian61 »

Hi is there anyone with any info on 175 TJH MK1 pre airflow as it would be great to find any history or previous owners who might know anything. I believe it was stored from the mid seventies till 2011 but not sure
thanks in anticipation
Ian
Keith Halstead
LCR Membership Number: 1711

Post by Keith Halstead »

I viewed the car for sale on a farm in Billericay in about 2006 & knew a 3rd owner who lives local to me. He swapped the car for an engine for his Elan if I recall.

What's your connection with it?
Ian61
Learner Driver

Post by Ian61 »

Hi Keith I recently purchased it and am looking to find out all I can of its whereabouts . What was its condition when you viewed it and why didn't you buy it?
Scott Simpson
The Gearbox Man
LCR Membership Number: 463

Post by Scott Simpson »

Hi Ian,
Nice to hear this car has resurfaced with a new owner. This car was driven to the LCR national day at Billing Aquadrome in the mid-2000's.
I never really got the chance to meet the then owner (from Billaricay), or to have a good look over TJH, as it poured with rain all day. It did look pretty original from the outside and had it's original studded woodrim in place. I know there are another couple of L/C's with reg numbers close to your car too. 178 TJH is owned by a forum regular and I'm sure you'll hear from him before too long and I believe 172 TJH is still alive and kicking.
Be nice to hear more about the car and maybe post up a few photo's.
My own car was built a couple of months after TJH, so they should be pretty much identical in detail.
Is TJH still in the same good condition and do you plan any restoration, upgrades, or other work in the future?
Scott
Ian61
Learner Driver

Post by Ian61 »

Hi Scott,
Thanks for the info.
Yes the car is in very good overall condition and seems very original apart from the A frame replaced with leaf arrangement and the head is from a later car but it runs really sweetly and drives beautifully. I will probably drive it next year while i decide whether to have fully restored as 178 TJH is but there is something nice about shabby chic
Where about in the country are you as would be nice to compare cars?
Ian
Keith Halstead

Post by Keith Halstead »

Hi Ian

I have a load of pics of the car that I took when I viewed it which I can send you if you give me your email.

Do you have the original green log book as I have a copy of that too, but you'll need to show me ownership before I send it ?
Ian61
Learner Driver

Post by Ian61 »

Thanks for the photos Keith very interesting . Yes I do have the original log book which is a continuation one, but it would be great to have the first one from 63 but probably no chance of finding it now
Ian
Keith Halstead

Post by Keith Halstead »

That's good you have that log book - that 2nd change is the man I know who is married to a friend of my wife and he still lives local to me. If you looked his phone number up, he still remember his ownership of it.
Scott Simpson
The Gearbox Man

Post by Scott Simpson »

Hi Ian,
Seeing what Keith knows about your car, it seems like you've got yourself a good one there.
I'm located a mile south of Heathrow Airport and you're welcome over to L/C's anytime. My phone no is 0208 751 0569
Scott
Ian61
Learner Driver

Post by Ian61 »

Hi Scott,
will defiantly give you a call when the weather improves, We are down near margate so not too far for a trip out on a sunny sunday
Ian
Scott Simpson
The Gearbox Man

Post by Scott Simpson »

Hi Ian,
The missus fancies a weekend in that fancy, period Hotel/museum in your neck of the woods, so once the suns out, it's the beach, or fair for her & littlun and the pub for me and you!
Scott :D
Simon G
East UK Event Rep
LCR Membership Number: 609

Post by Simon G »

This car was at the LCR National Day at Brands Hatch last year

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz69 ... I75TJH.jpg
GoLotus
Front wheel lifter
LCR Membership Number: 0

Post by GoLotus »

So it was!

Ian61
Learner Driver

Post by Ian61 »

Thanks for the pics guys they are great. I was gutted that I couldn't make it to the 50th as we were out of the country (extremely bad planning)
Ian
racebase
Learner Driver
LCR Membership Number: 0

Re: 175 TJH

Post by racebase »

This car was owned by my uncles best friend who lived in the benfleet area he past away must of been 18-20 years ago he owned the car for must of been 25 odd years. Before he past away I went around to view the car as he new he was very ill and didn't have long to live and said to me if I was interested in buying it I would have first refusal.

Then within a couple months he past away and his wife spoke to there next door neighbour and they said whats happening with the Lotus and the next thing his wife sold the car to them, so I was not too impressed with her.

I know the head was off the car because it was in his loft with the carbs and there was also a brand new wing with the car.

I also know the neighbour was moaning that it was more rust in it than he expected !!! and he only paid £3k for the car, happy days !!!