Forum Changes?

Anything related to Lotus Cortinas. (Open to the public.)

Moderator: LCR Members

waf
Front wheel lifter
LCR Membership Number: 847

Forum Changes?

Post by waf »

Has the forum changed- seems to be mostly members only and I can't get into much of it?
Was looking for some old info, but some sub-sections seem to have disappeared?
Lashman
Site Admin
LCR Membership Number: 1855

Post by Lashman »

Yep, There is now just one non-members section, its a work in progress and will take a couple of days because I'm without broadband at home at moment.
Cheers
Louis
mfc6932
Learner Driver
LCR Membership Number: 0

Post by mfc6932 »

Well, this is an unfortunate change. Seeing as how there aren't many or any other LCR members in my part of the world and a paid membership for a car I race but don't strictly own doesn't make sense, it looks like I'll have to search for info and share videos elsewhere from now on.
RONV
Learner Driver

Post by RONV »

mfc6932 wrote:Well, this is an unfortunate change. Seeing as how there aren't many or any other LCR members in my part of the world and a paid membership for a car I race but don't strictly own doesn't make sense, it looks like I'll have to search for info and share videos elsewhere from now on.
Hi, your right check out buysellcortinas lot of friends and useful info and plenty of good photos and cars and parts for sale, and its FREE to all. Ron.
Lashman
Site Admin

Post by Lashman »

I know I should'nt have to point out the obvious but the LCR and buysellcortina are two totally different things.
This website and forum has evolved into what is over the past 14 years by input from it's users.
Cheers
Louis
P.S We still don't charge non-members to use this site even though it's the club that pays for its upkeep, rather than the advertising we all voted against in the past.
RONV
Learner Driver

Post by RONV »

Lashman wrote:I know I should'nt have to point out the obvious but the LCR and buysellcortina are two totally different things.
This website and forum has evolved into what is over the past 14 years by input from it's users.
Cheers
Louis
P.S We still don't charge non-members to use this site even though it's the club that pays for its upkeep, rather than the advertising we all voted against in the past.
Hi, your right but this chap is in NY and wants info and a chat and some contact with Cortina people I bet he will never be able to attend a LCR event so why be a member, as with all your members who join the MK1 owners club for the spares system to keep their cars on the road. II only have to Lotus Cortinas at the moment but I liked to use your FORUM to keep in touch but now its gone. Ron.
Lashman
Site Admin

Post by Lashman »

I don't think there is one solution to keep members and non-members happy.
The club has kept a non-members section open intentionally so non-members can keep in touch, unlike a lot of classic car owners forums.
I'm keen to hear what everyone else thinks?
Cheers
Louis
robertverhey
Front wheel lifter

Post by robertverhey »

I would like to offer some (hopefully) constructive input.....

I love lotus cortinas, have done since i was a nipper, have owned, driven, pulled apart and rebuilt three. So I would like to think I can add to the store of knowledge as time goes on. And i just love talking about them. I'm in Australia.

I do however find the overseas subscription rate to be prohibitive, and would venture that there may be a case for another type of membership, an overseas "no magazine" subscription. I would gladly pay a nominal amount to stay part of the whole forum. I understand that the main reason why overseas membership is more expensive is the postage, and if that was taken out of he equation, I would suggest maybe a 10 pound per year or thereabouts "no magazine" subscription would be reasonable.

On a broader issue, I appreciate that a lot of work goes into the production, editing and printing of the magazine. No disrespect is intended to those who selflessly do this for every edition. However I have a personal view (not shared by all I know) that the hard copy magazine format is dated and has been largely superseded by on-line distribution (think "lotus Forums" or similar)

My career until I retired was largely occupied by getting information out to an interest group (in my case environmental managers) and we really did take all the options out for a spin. In the end, I would have to say the "electronic" or online magazine was the most successful and best patronised.

It is possible to build in a "logging in" facility to this (ie making it accessible to paid up members only), and I would imagine the cost savings in terms of postage would be enormous.

Hope this assists

Robert
Last edited by robertverhey on Sun 17th Nov 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve 155C
Site Admin
LCR Membership Number: 2037

Post by Steve 155C »

robertverhey wrote:
It is possible to build in a "logging in" facility to this (ie making it accessible to paid up members only), and I would imagine the cost savings in terms of postage would be enormous.

Hope this assists

Robert
I like the sound of this.
SteveL

Post by SteveL »

That would be open to abuse unless you banned any ip that wasnt a member .
Andy M
COMMITTEE MEMBER
LCR Membership Number: 896

Membership

Post by Andy M »

Hi All,

I am sorry to put another point of the obvious but am I or is anyone commenting on this forum missing something!

A brief history:- Most if not all car clubs are started by like minded people having a common interest IE the model/make of a car. Then it becomes apparent that there are a few more that wish to be part of the original group.

Before long it escalates and we find tens of the same interested people.
Then a club is formed and a committee is elected. Then the next step is for everyone to keep in touch by means of a magazine which results in production costs which enevitably means a subscription which everyone who wants to belong to the club is happy to pay.(the membership).
Therefore we now have an established club and everything sprouts from the membership within the group and any newcomers that join along the way.
So if those early folk had not been like minded then no club would have existed therefore:- no magazine, no forum, no national weekend, no events, no social events, no pubmeets and certainly No Club!!

Which means without their foresight no discussion on here!

We are only able to have this discussion because of them and the paid up members that have gone before!
So to reiterate the club exists for the members and belongs to the membership! Therefore the benefit of joining a club is to be a part of the membership and all that comes with it. It does not mean being able to come to events it may mean that you can locate a part because you have spoken to a fellow member! Or asked a technical question! Without members you could not do this because there would be no club!

Where do Non Members come into the equation? They don't not in my book as the membership is everything!

That does not say I do not talk to non members as these by and large can become new members as they have the interest like those early like minded people!
How do you think we have most of the club members now? Most new members come from that initial tentative enquiry, and guess what its mainly by phone not the forum!!!

Andy M
L2Man
Woodrim
LCR Membership Number: 2222

Post by L2Man »

RONV wrote:
mfc6932 wrote:Well, this is an unfortunate change. Seeing as how there aren't many or any other LCR members in my part of the world and a paid membership for a car I race but don't strictly own doesn't make sense, it looks like I'll have to search for info and share videos elsewhere from now on.
Hi, your right check out buysellcortinas lot of friends and useful info and plenty of good photos and cars and parts for sale, and its FREE to all. Ron.
Its not free Ron its kept going by voluntary donations under threat of the monthly email saying someone pay up or it will collapse.

And good as it is being a more generic club, I do not enjoy the mk5 cortina 1600 4 door articles that much....
Keith Halstead
LCR Membership Number: 1711

Post by Keith Halstead »

L2Man wrote:
RONV wrote:
Its not free Ron its kept going by voluntary donations under threat of the monthly email saying someone pay up or it will collapse.

And good as it is being a more generic club, I do not enjoy the mk5 cortina 1600 4 door articles that much....

That may be true Brendan but there's enough material on there to keep Mr Winstock going for years. :wink:
Neilsjuke
Woodrim
LCR Membership Number: 1920

Post by Neilsjuke »

Should this neg lot be moved to a members only area I would think it is not a good shop window.
Neil
L2Man
Woodrim
LCR Membership Number: 2222

Post by L2Man »

L2Man wrote:

That may be true Brendan but there's enough material on there to keep Mr Winstock going for years. :wink:[/quote]

You mean Mr Pliccy?