AEG 156B 1964 Ford Lotus Cortina Mk1 SE

Want to find out if your old LC is still about? Leave details here.

Moderator: LCR Members

sutol83
Regular
LCR Membership Number: 2266

Post by sutol83 »

Looks very nice Smudger,

I do like the green cam cover a lot more than my blue lol
Keith Halstead
LCR Membership Number: 1711

Post by Keith Halstead »

Wasn't this the car used years ago on Top Gear when they had the snippet with the Great Train Robbery villains present?

I still have it on VHS if you need a copy.
Keith Image
Smudger
Learner Driver
LCR Membership Number: 2078

AEG - REcent Photo's

Post by Smudger »

Yes AEG was featured in the 'Top Gear' BBC programme on the marque, transmitted on 26 July 2001. The piece included an interview with Bruce Reynolds (Great Train Robber from 1963) who owned an LC at the time of the robbery - BMK723A (Car 15 off the production line) - famously confiscated by Scotland Yard and held by them for many years, then auctioned off in Feb 1969, before being purchased at another auction by Colin Chapman and the factory in April 1980, for the sum of £4,500.

I have the original Tape of the programme, and have converted it to a movie clip - I will try and load it on to Photo-Bucket and see if I can add a link to view - all sounds techy, but i'll have a go :D
Scott Simpson
The Gearbox Man
LCR Membership Number: 463

Post by Scott Simpson »

Hi Simon,
AEG is looking fabulous mate. Much prefer it on Steels and from what I can make out, period looking tyres?
If you ever want to get your seat belts redone with the correct webbing, let me know, as I've just had a couple of sets finished and there is still a little of the grey webbing left over.
Does AEG still have that AVO suspension fitted?
It is the only L/C I know of with AVO units installed front and rear. How does the car feel with this set up?
Scott
Smudger
Learner Driver

Test

Post by Smudger »

Test
Smudger
Learner Driver

Scott Response

Post by Smudger »

Hi Scott
Sorry for delayed response. Yes indeed, AEG is back to its factory Steels shod with period Dunlop Aquajet SP Sport 165HR/13 tyres supplied from Vintage Tyres in Hampshire.

Seat Belts - I remember you saying that the belts were not accurate - Yes please, I will take a set from you to complete. I will contact via private message to arrange.

AEG does have the AVO suspension all round, and this set up provides excellent handling, improving the original set up in my book.

I continue my quest to return AEG to Factory condition spec. I have a programme of work underway;

Steering Wheel - This has concerned me for some time - it is a genuine LC Leather wheel fitted, however, it is definitely an 'Aeroflow SE' Leather version with the 180/90/90 spoke patten, fitted with the correct April 64 boss/G&Y horn push. I therefore set about the task of tracking down an un-studded 'Y' patten 120/120/120 wheel correct for the April 64 build. I thought this would be a long task, however, less than 2 weeks in, I discovered just that very item on ebay. I bid high to ensure winning the wheel, and soon as received shipped it over to Len Chandler for him to work his magic. I now have an as new superb example of the 'Y' wheel. Just the job :D

Exhaust Pipe - This had blown its last gust. I commissioned a full pipe and manifold pipes from Guy Smith Motorsports - the same bore as fitted to his track LC's. This is already to be fitted.

Rocker Cover - I want this stripped and repainted in the correct hammered green paint - I believe AEG's colour is too lighter green. I have a new gasket ready in the wings for the re-fit.

Clutch Replacement - The clutch is making some interesting noises when moving around gears. I believe the release bearing is done. So replacement of the clutch plate and new R-B is a must.

So a small list of winter tasks to complete, pre Spring - should keep me busy !

Regards Smudger
Scott Simpson
The Gearbox Man
LCR Membership Number: 463

Post by Scott Simpson »

Hi Smudger,
Thanks for the update. As usual, we'd love to see pics of all the hard work you're doing, especially the steering wheel.
S/E's were supposed to have gained a leather rim in April 64, which I believe is the month AEG was built. They must be the rarest of all steering wheels fitted to our cars, as they were replaced by the aeroflow type from october 64. The wheel which had been fitted to AEG was an Elan s/e version. They always had a different boss to the cortina.
Contact Pete Gedling (on this forum as Pete G) regarding the camcover, as he had mine and the 3 VUR cars done at the same place. The colour match to Pete's and my original is excellent.
With exhausts, if you haven't already sorted it then use P D Gough 01159 382241. Neil McCarthy, who restored 26 VUR says that their system fitted like a glove. Everyone else seems to have had problems with exhaust fit.
Not sure about Guy Smith's systems though, so perhaps you could let us all know how it fits up, if you've already bought it.
The release bearings are not really upto the task and never have been.
Fortunately, they were always cheap, so Ford used to reccomend fitting a new one anytime the engine and/or the gearbox was removed, regardless of whether it was needed. Unfortunately, they're not so cheap these days! If you need someone to check over your box, I'd happily oblige. Duncan restored AEG nearly 20 years ago, so it could be showing signs of fatigue. I reckon these boxes were/are only good for about 20-30k, before the layshaft rollers and/or rear mainshaft bearing give up.
As for competition use, I think guys, such as Geoff Letts ( our club magazine editor and L/C racing guru), see the insides of their gearboxes, more than they see the inside of their homes!
Anyhow, I digress (nothing unusual there then!).
Look forward to hearing more about the rise and rise of AEG.
Scott 8)
msc5
Learner Driver
LCR Membership Number: 0

Post by msc5 »

It's been so good to find this car's still going strong! In addition to the SE, I've now been able to trace my Grandfather's MG J2 (now in Switzerland) and his Aston Martin short chassis Le Mans 2/4 (now in Argentina). I've been greatly helped all along the way be the enthusiasts and present owners - thanks very much. I'll continue to monitor AEG's progress with interest (and hope to see it in person some time).
Andy M
COMMITTEE MEMBER
LCR Membership Number: 896

Post by Andy M »

Hi MSC5,

The car is booked into Brands Hatch for our National Weekend in a couple of weeks time 24/25 August. You can see it in the flesh there!

Andy M
msc5
Learner Driver
LCR Membership Number: 0

Post by msc5 »

Thanks Andy M, that's great - I'll put in the diary!