AEG 156B 1964 Ford Lotus Cortina Mk1 SE

Want to find out if your old LC is still about? Leave details here.

Moderator: LCR Members

msc5
Learner Driver
LCR Membership Number: 0

AEG 156B 1964 Ford Lotus Cortina Mk1 SE

Post by msc5 »

Not mine, but my grandfather's. He was the second owner from new. We know the work he had done on it, but don't know what happened to it since he sold it c.1968 (although it looks like it's still around!).
Any info on this car would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Steve 155C
Site Admin
LCR Membership Number: 2037

Post by Steve 155C »

This car is well known to the club and is members.. Last heard of being sold at Bonhams Auction in 2006 and being bought buy forum member "smudger"

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/14262/lot/434/
msc5
Learner Driver

Post by msc5 »

Thanks very much Steve 155C!
Interesting to learn it's well known - why's that?

It would be great to hear from "Smudger"! Meantime, if anyone can give an indication of the car's history, it would be much appreciated. Also, would anyone care to learn of the car's history whilst in my family?
gt-for-now
Regular
LCR Membership Number: 2215

Post by gt-for-now »

The car made several appearances in 1990's Quarterbumper magazines, owner during that era was Duncan Tough.
PM me if you want more details.

Marcel
msc5
Learner Driver

Post by msc5 »

Steve 155C wrote:This car is well known to the club and is members.. Last heard of being sold at Bonhams Auction in 2006 and being bought buy forum member "smudger"

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/14262/lot/434/
I'd seen the auction site, thanks. Not sure the aerial is original, and grandfather would not have seen it an important thing to add. Now changing the rear coil springs for leaf is a different matter...

spent some time in the US by the looks of it:

http://www.lotus-cortina.com/photos/rose/rose.htm

in the hands of Don Rose
Smudger
Learner Driver
LCR Membership Number: 2078

AEG156B

Post by Smudger »

Hi there MSC5

Yes I do still own AEG156B - purchased at the Beaulieu Bonhams Auction in Sept 2006. Its in excellent condition, and now back to full road spec as it left the factory, original steel wheels and correct period Dunlop SP's, etc. I was sent your details by Bonhams and have sent an email directly to you.

I have quite a file with the car now - including a whole set of paperwork between the factory (Colin) and a perspective buyer of an SE version in mid 64, this includes factory produced specification lists and price lists, all hand typed on A4 using carbon paper - typical Colin Chapman not wanting to spend any money !

It will be good to add detail from owner No2 to the pedigree. Look forward to communicating with you.

Regards Smudger
msc5
Learner Driver

Post by msc5 »

Hello Smudger,

Thanks for your post. Yes it'll be interesting to compare notes on the car. I was interested when I saw the photo of the car from the auction, but hadn't, at first, noted the reg # - coincidentally I'd actually used that photo as a representation of grandfather's car in some notes I've been writing. When I realised there were only 50 made, and it had a Peterborough reg #, I wondered what are the chances that this was grandfather's? I checked with our photos to confirm the reg # and it was! I was amazed.
Looking forward to swapping notes (and some photos, when I get copies taken from this end).
BTW no email received from you at pres - I'll PM you my email directly.
bw

msc5
Scott Simpson
The Gearbox Man
LCR Membership Number: 463

Post by Scott Simpson »

Hi smudger,
Any chance of you posting up the correspondance between the factory and prospective s/e buyer?
Sounds very interesting and I wonder whether he ended up parting with his hard earned!
My s/e (AJT 151B) left Cheshunt on 27th April 1964, for English & Sons, Dorchester/Bournemouth after being ordered by the then owner of Troytown Farm, Dewlish. So there's little chance of the would be buyer being the 1st owner of my car. But I wonder whether his name might be recognised by another s/e owner.
It'd be nice if you could post up some photos of AEG now it's finished. I heard that you have virtually re-restored the car after buying it.
I was at the autojumble that weekend and blagged my way passed the door staff to get a good look around AEG. I could see there were issues with the paintwork, but it still looked a lovely car. Must be stunning now!
Incidentally, there were supposedly 65 s/e's made, but there is very little hard evidence of production figures, so where this figure came from is anyones guess.
I have details (some sketchy!) of 26 s/e's and know that 18 of these still exist. A rare car indeed.
Scott 8)
Smudger
Learner Driver

Post by Smudger »

Sure will post the documents once scanned + a picture or two
Smudger
Brian c
Woodrim
LCR Membership Number: 1426

Post by Brian c »

Taken at national day Coventry, about 1998/99 just after being restored by the Tough's
msc5
Learner Driver

AEG

Post by msc5 »

Nice looking car - looks like it means business, stripped down to the essentials - no sound-proofing under the bonnet etc.
Still not sure about that aerial, though!
Peter Meyer
Woodrim
LCR Membership Number: 2229

Post by Peter Meyer »

Sound proofing? Am I missing something?
msc5
Learner Driver

Post by msc5 »

unlike more modern cars...
msc5
Learner Driver

Post by msc5 »

Thought you might appreciate this potted history of the car with its second owner…

In 1966, the second owner (to be!) heard that Leslie Pinder’s 1964 Lotus Cortina SE (AEG 156B) was for sale, and knowing the full history of this car since new, he bought it, selling his Tornado Talisman. The Lotus “as bought” was most unsatisfactory. The most annoying fault, apart from the lack of performance, was the back axle, which emitted a loud bang when turning right. Peterborough Motors, from whom he bought the car new [something]-wheel end pinion FOC and he asked this to be 4.1 instead of the 3.9, as fitted.
The owner and his wife then departed with the car for a Continental holiday, the back axle went again by the time they got to Dover. He was unable to do more than 80 due to problems with the coil spring rear suspension. Back in the UK he really went to town on the car, starting by having leaf springs fitted to the rear end. Peterborough Motors agreed the car was far from satisfactory and assisted with the cost of the conversion. The result was amazing, the car was now as stable as a rock, the back axle noise had vanished and it would steer hands off at any speed. Mike Trentham tuned up the two Webers, and a new set of plugs was fitted. With 115 bhp, and a close ratio gear box the car gave over 70 in second, 95 in third and 120 in top (all speedo readings). The car was utterly trouble free. The new plugs were still in when he sold it 20, 000 miles later (never having been out to be cleaned since fitted). The cam shaft cover was never removed, the rockers were never seen or adjusted. The Webers were not even looked at. Apart from regular and careful servicing and cleaning the car had no attention whatever. The only drawback, if it can be called such, was the very high bottom gear, which called for clutch-slipping in traffic, but the clutch did not seem to object.
Smudger
Learner Driver

AEG - REcent Photo's

Post by Smudger »

Recent Shots of AEG, returning back to 'As it left Cheshunt' form' :Image[/img]
Image[/img]