OVW 323D

Want to find out if your old LC is still about? Leave details here.

Moderator: LCR Members

robertverhey
Front wheel lifter
LCR Membership Number: 0

Post by robertverhey »

Wow $8.10 to unload in 1972. Try $3k today!
embee427
Learner Driver

OVW 323D

Post by embee427 »

This road was one of the reasons the "large plates" were fitted on top of the struts. Over 350mls of sand, gravel,ruts and pot holes between Eucla and Ceduna, South Australia. Somewhere on this stretch the offside shock seals started to leak, but would last until we reached Sydney, where it was reconditioned

embee427
Learner Driver

OVW 323D

Post by embee427 »

Big hair and big flares!! In the early 70s Singapore had banned long hair on men in their country so I faced having a haircut on the border, or what I did was to wear a hat . With my hair covered, I probably looked better like that anyway ! :)
Lashman
Site Admin
LCR Membership Number: 1855

Post by Lashman »

This is my favourite thread on here for a while, thanks for sharing some great photos/scans!
Cheers
Louis
Neale
Learner Driver

Post by Neale »

Second that, thanks again for sharing your stories & pics.

Ive noticed that the ford badge on the L/H wing in your latest pic is the oval type, not the white rectangle with the ford badge in it like all the other Lotus that I've seen.

Dad has copped alot of flack about this by the "experts" that say its not correct. Was it like that when you bought the car, or was it changed for some reason???
Rick
COMMITTEE MEMBER
LCR Membership Number: 1292

Post by Rick »

Ive noticed that the ford badge on the L/H wing in your latest pic is the oval type, not the white rectangle with the ford badge in it like all the other Lotus that I've seen.
Its Correct for a 66
Neale
Learner Driver

Post by Neale »

Rick wrote:
Its Correct for a 66
Thanks Rick, like I said we have had people come up at shows & other places that have told us that its wrong & there arent alot of mk1 LC's that have that badge. so it got us wondering.
embee427
Learner Driver

OVW 323D

Post by embee427 »

Lashman wrote:This is my favourite thread on here for a while, thanks for sharing some great photos/scans!
Cheers
Louis
Your very welcome
Trident team
Petrolhead
LCR Membership Number: 2546

Post by Trident team »

Great thread
An amazing story of a journey that could not be repeated in today's
very unstable polititcal situations in some of the countries that
Lotus Cortina travelled through.
Thank you for sharing your pictures with us. :D
embee427
Learner Driver

OVW323D

Post by embee427 »

The Gateway to India, one place OVW323D did not intend to visit !! but because of the war between Pakistan and India, the border road could not be driven. The car was shipped from Karachi to Bombay (mumbai) and then onto Madras (Chennai)Image

The experiance of driving in India is best described as mad !! :lol: Image
embee427
Learner Driver

OVW323D

Post by embee427 »

The car would be carried over water six times on its journey from England to Australia. Three ferries, Dover to Ostend, over the Bosphorus Istanbul, Turkey and Penang to mainland Malaysia.

Three ships. Pakistan to India, India to Penang and Singapore to Australia. The car before being loaded would have its battery disconnected and showing a low fuel tank. Once the car was in the hold of the ship, we were not allowed to go back to her on the sea journey. On the short trip between Pakistan and India they managed to scratch the offside front wing and snap the hand brake cable when in the hold !!

embee427
Learner Driver

OVW 323D

Post by embee427 »

North East Turkey ImageImage
the83man
Regular
LCR Membership Number: 2276

Post by the83man »

I love this story.........and the photographs.

Surely it should become a mainstream magazine article? Anyone mind if I point a few journos at it?
Mike S
Rick
COMMITTEE MEMBER
LCR Membership Number: 1292

Post by Rick »

What about "our" magazine the QB, this topic is ideal for being written up for the whole membership to enjoy.
Peter Meyer
Woodrim
LCR Membership Number: 2229

Post by Peter Meyer »

I'll speak to Geoff about it and get him to do it. He now has a very complete story.