Jim Clark car

Want to find out if your old LC is still about? Leave details here.

Moderator: LCR Members

63 GT
Front wheel lifter
LCR Membership Number: 2170

Jim Clark car

Post by 63 GT »

A local collector has a Factory Team Lotus car with Jim Clark history. in his collection.I don't know the numbers or the rego, However I have no doubt to its providence
Judging by Company it keeps.Amongst a collection of over 100 cars worth 10's of millions.
Bertil
Front wheel lifter
LCR Membership Number: 2045

Post by Bertil »

You don´t think it will be possible to turn the camera a little more to the left and email me the pics along with some info on that car? :lol:

Looks great that Cortina! I think you have to find out some more about that one, you just cant do that posting a pic and say Jim Clark without telling the whole story! :roll:
63 GT
Front wheel lifter

Post by 63 GT »

I don't know much more about it at the moment.
However I will be talking to the owner in about 2 weeks time.

The owner has a serious collection of cars which include a genuine GT40,
a Gullwing Merc, an Genuine very early numbered AC Cobra ( possibly #1)also many many famous Australian Touring cars.
His collection numbers over 100 cars. all very famous cars.
I have been told that this LC is a Jim Clark car and I have no reason to beleive otherwise.

I will try to get some photos and a rego #. It may take a while.
63 GT
Front wheel lifter

Post by 63 GT »

Check out this link to the Bowden collection.
http://www.ponysite.de/bowdens_paradise.htm

My last name is Bowden and I live about 10 miles from this guy, unfortunately I am not related.
Mark Cramond
Front wheel lifter
LCR Membership Number: 2071

Post by Mark Cramond »

These cars are part of the Bowden collection. The Bowden family have been collecting classic cars and rce cars for a long time now and it will be safe to say that if it is a Bowden car there will be no doubt of it's history.

Just having the opportunity to look at this collection is a very rare opportunity and would make any car enthusiast envious.
Matthew
Petrolhead
LCR Membership Number: 2104

Post by Matthew »

Hi Bertil,

The yellow RS500 Sierra was/is a Benson and Hedges sponsored Group A touring car driven by Aussie Tont Longhurst. I assume it would be the car that he won the Bathurst 1000 km race in, in 1988. As I understand it, it was a Rouse built car.
63 GT
Front wheel lifter

Post by 63 GT »

A Friend of mine had the chance to veiw part of this collection Yesterday.
I asked him to take some photos of the Lotus for me.
The car is a factory Lotus with some Jim Clark history.
It was brought to Australia for Allan Moffat to race in the Victorian saloon car Championship and was purchased from Allan Moffat's own collection.
63 GT
Front wheel lifter

Post by 63 GT »

I borrowed the following from the Moffat racing web page

http://www.allanmoffat.com.au/again/art ... ntense.htm

Six weeks later, Moffat was pressing his face through the fence at Watkins Glen. There, Team Lotus was fettling the works Lotus Cortinas for Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart. Moffat offered to work for free. “As far as I was concerned, I spent four months in the most expensive university in the world, learning gratis.”

At the end of the 1964 season, the Team Lotus Cortinas were put up for sale. Suddenly, the young team gopher put up his hand for one. “The Ford team’s co-ordinator, an Englishman named Peter Quenet, just looked at me and said, ‘What do you think you’re gonna do with a bloody Lotus Cortina?’ And I said, ‘I sorta know where to take it...’

The mid-1960s moulded much of the Moffat character. He went to-and-fro between being a novelty-novice with his own Cortina in Australia to being a Ford-supported privateer in the US, where he’d been granted the use of the two remaining ex-Lotus cars for the new Trans-Am series.