Submitting LC Mk I info

Want to find out if your old LC is still about? Leave details here.

Moderator: LCR Members

gretschguy
Learner Driver
LCR Membership Number: 75

Submitting LC Mk I info

Post by gretschguy »

Hi: Tried to fill out the information details on my MK I but the form did not want to accept my "date of registration" details. Being Canadian, I am not sure what format works for the club. I am probably one of the oldest members with an original purchased car (74FL59050 --LHD) in June of '66.
Steve 155C
Site Admin
LCR Membership Number: 2037

Re: Submitting LC Mk I info

Post by Steve 155C »

The date of registration field on the form is a box that when clicked displays a calendar. Are you seeing this calendar and selecting a date?
David Baldock
Woodrim
LCR Membership Number: 57

Post by David Baldock »

Did you buy the car new then?

Dave B
gretschguy
Learner Driver
LCR Membership Number: 75

Post by gretschguy »

Hi Steve and Dave: Thanks for the info. Now, can't find the form. Where is it?

Yes, did buy the car new from the local Kingston, Ontario dealer. Was the last one Ford of Canada had in inventory.

Originally was going to buy one of the Shell 4000 rally cars that were supplied to Comstock Construction (Ford of Canada's Works Team in racing and rallying) and put down a deposit but even though the cars came first, second and around 7th, and the team prize, they were all so badly beaten up that my deposit was returned by Comstock. Apparently, even though Comstock warned Ford UK to make the cars soft, the suspensions were set up too hard.

I was pretty disappointed but the local Ford Manager did find that street car for me which I own to this day and my son is adamant that it stays in the family and will never be sold. I am 78 now and still enjoying driving it as well as my son's '06 Elise.
David Baldock
Woodrim
LCR Membership Number: 57

Post by David Baldock »

That's a great story! Can I ask, what is your name & have you been a continuous member all these years? In fact, if Keith Halstead hasn't asked already, would you consider penning something for the Quarter Bumper, maybe with some pictures thrown in?

I see your membership number is 75 so you must have joined around the time I did as I'm number 57. I will have owned my car for fifty years on 22nd February this year & I often wonder how many long term owners there are out there? Are you the only current member who has owned his car from new? Maybe Rikki will read this & let us know if he's aware of anyone?

Dave B
Steve 155C
Site Admin
LCR Membership Number: 2037

Post by Steve 155C »

Trident team
Petrolhead
LCR Membership Number: 2546

Post by Trident team »

Hi David
I know this thread has been inactive for a while.
But your comment regarding ''long time owners'' was interesting to me as I guess I should be proud of the fact
that I have owned mine for just under 46 years.
Despite the fluctuations of life including moving house several times, 14 years of ''laid up'' inactivity when my wife would say ''when are you going to get rid of that old Cortina in the garage'?''
Being part of my life before
''settling down'' I thought that won't happen.
Then the kids arrived and as they grew older and understood my passion the inspiration returned to completely restore it and I'm so glad I did.
Hopefully the joy of ownership of this great car will continue.
Cheers Geoff
Pete G
Woodrim
LCR Membership Number: 278

Post by Pete G »

Hi Geoff
I didn't realise you were a long term owner as well,- I knew David was and he must be one of the longest, unless someone knows differently !!
Mine is insured with Adrian Flux who started a thread on their web site of people who have owned classics for long periods and I was asked if I wanted to talk about mine and have a photo shoot, which I did, (I posted this link a while ago), me and my car are on page 5 but some of the other car owners stories are worth reading.

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/forever-cars/page/5/
Trident team
Petrolhead

Post by Trident team »

Hi Peter
I read the story about your car.
I can relate to so many parts of the ''journey''.
I was so fortunate to get mine at the time, 25th January 1975.
I remember that as if it was yesterday.
I drove it to work everyday for years and it never missed a beat.
I courted my wife in it, it has featured on television in Australia.
I have driven it to Melbourne [600 miles] twice, Brisbane [550 miles] 3 times.
To the Cortina Nationals in Albury NSW in 2012 & 2017 [the 2nd time winning ''Best Mk1 Lotus'']
I absolutely love it.
I guess I should put pen to paper about it's colourful life.
The most remarkable achievement of her was the fact that she was driven to Australia overland in 1972.
Thanks for your interest.
Cheers Geoff
Trident team
Petrolhead

Post by Trident team »

Hi All
I was visiting a friend recently, a fellow LC owner who showed me an excerpt from an old edition of 'Quarter Bumper'
that had details of the 1965 models and when they left the factory.
my question is ... ''Would it be possible to access that information?''
What details are required?
Thanks Geoff
puntasanjacinto
Learner Driver
LCR Membership Number: 2562

Post by puntasanjacinto »

This post helped remind me that I could submit my LC details; which I did today. Hopefully my submission to the LCR was successful. Thank you.

Richard
Keith Halstead
LCR Membership Number: 1711

Post by Keith Halstead »

Trident team wrote: Wed 3rd Mar 2021 3:25 pm Hi All
I was visiting a friend recently, a fellow LC owner who showed me an excerpt from an old edition of 'Quarter Bumper'
that had details of the 1965 models and when they left the factory.
my question is ... ''Would it be possible to access that information?''
What details are required?
Thanks Geoff
Was it this ?

1965 Changes

1. Aeroflow air extraction system
2. Full width grille incorporating side flashers
3. Redesigned fascia which includes separate circular oil pressure gauge, water temperature gauge, ammeter & fuel gauge
4. Colour keyed internal paintwork
5. New dished wooden steering wheel
6. Split propeller shaft
7. A lighter clutch action, achieved by diaphragm modification
8. Carpet in lieu of rubber mats
9. The standard Cortina steering gear ratio (15:1) in lieu of the G.T. ratio (1.4:1)
10. Rear axle nose cone, gearbox extension housing, door outer panels, hood & deck lids, previously made in aluminium will be replaced by steel units as stocks become exhausted.
11. High tensile studs, with nuts & lock tabs, replace original studs between differential carrier & axle housing.
12. With effect from November 14th the close ratio gearbox is replaced by the G.T. gearbox with an uprated 2nd gear (i.e. former 2.39:1 ratio becomes 2.04:1)
13. Polyurethane bush replaces former metallic threaded bush at ‘A’ frame joint to axle, This provides lubrication for life.
Trident team
Petrolhead

Post by Trident team »

Thanks Keith
Handy info., but
the document I saw was a tabulated form of a number of cars, their GB rego. and build number and the date they left the factory
at Cheshunt.
Mine is not on the list, so I'm guessing it was a compilation of cars known to the register.
I'll copy it and send it to you.
Cheers Geoff
Keith Halstead
LCR Membership Number: 1711

Post by Keith Halstead »

Trident team wrote: Thu 4th Mar 2021 2:27 am Thanks Keith
Handy info., but
the document I saw was a tabulated form of a number of cars, their GB rego. and build number and the date they left the factory
at Cheshunt.
Mine is not on the list, so I'm guessing it was a compilation of cars known to the register.
I'll copy it and send it to you.
Cheers Geoff
Yes that was probably an extract from the register years ago from the factory - never republished since. It is in the public domain, as it was in an old QB magazines I think, but no longer probably due to changes in laws. I even saw some of owners names & addresses published alongside registrations in early editions - that would never happen today.