Instrument Panel Questions

Anything related to Lotus Cortinas. (Open to the public.)

Moderator: LCR Members

Lance54
Learner Driver
LCR Membership Number: 0

Instrument Panel Questions

Post by Lance54 »

Thanks to those who responded to my post about the Oil Pressure Warning Lamp.

I'm building up and LHD Airflow Lotus Cortina Instrument Panel from some new and old parts.
A9A7A362-1A24-43C1-A3A5-75DAF6258240.jpeg
This is a new fiberglass binnacle (covered in protective blue tape) a new stainless insert and instruments from genuine Lotus Cortina that I striped more than 40 years ago. The instruments have been refurbished by Nisonger in New York.

Question 1 now answered was the color of the Oil Light.

Question 2 is which of the small gauges have a panel lamp attached to the fixing bracket? I think there are just 2 lamps for the 4 gauges.
AF1DF7B6-60C2-4EDF-B6C8-CAE840A9417B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lance54
Learner Driver

Re: Instrument Panel Questions

Post by Lance54 »

I just found this image on the Facebook Page....
63210C0E-1887-45BB-8B38-07C3B006EF10.jpeg
This answers my Question 2 there are indeed just two panel lamps for the four auxiliary gauges. One is on Ammeter and placed between the Fuel Gauge and the Ammeter and the second is on the Water Temperature Gauge and placed between the Oil Pressure Gauge and the Water Temperatute Gauge.

This image also answers my Question 3 where do the Oil Pressure Line and the Water Temperature Tube pass through the firewall (bulkhead)? Looks like they are in the same large grommet that inserts into a hole just above the Engine Ground Strap Lug. That hole is plugged with solid grommet on my car.

This also answers my Question 4 where should the four C-shaped retainers be placed to hold the binnacle to the steel dash
panel. Looks like they are the Speedo, the Tacho, the Fuel Gauge and the Oil Pressure Gauge. I do not have these retainers however the look pretty easy to fabricate.

Given that the added gauges from Cortina spec to Lotus Cortina spec and mostly mechanical it appears that the only addition needed to the existing wiring harness will be for the Ammeter and two additional Panel Lights. All the warning and indicator lights are common but may require an increase in wire length to accommodate the Lotus Cortina placement.

Don't know yet if the Ignition Switch Harness is long enough to be moved from right hand to left hand placement on this LHD car. If not I will likely leave it to the right of the steering wheel.

Comments are welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lance54
Learner Driver

Post by Lance54 »

Correction....the hole where the Oil Pressure Line and Water Temperature Tube will pass through the firewall currently is where the Throttle Pedal Lever passes through the firewall.
45B7552A-B6E1-40D9-ABB9-FB3EE907B3AD.jpeg
Installation of the Water Temperature Gauge will need to come after the Twincam is installed the a Throttle Cable replaces the Lever Action Throttle. I'll find a alternate temporary spot for the Oil Pressure Line to pass through the firewall.
JohninCM
Learner Driver
LCR Membership Number: 2098

Post by JohninCM »

The illustration posted is of a RHD dash. Some of the routing of items to the engine bay is laid out differently RHD vs LHD. From memory the capillary line shares the speedometer cable opening on an LHD LC.

Reproduction binnacle brackets can be found here:
https://stage1.org.uk/product/air-flow- ... -brackets/

And a cable style LC throttle pedal is available here:
https://stage1.org.uk/product/mk1-lotus ... tle-pedal/
Lance54
Learner Driver

Post by Lance54 »

Thanks for the great advice. I will contact Stage 1 for the retainers and inquire about a LHD pedal.