Colours

Anything related to Lotus Cortinas. (Open to the public.)

Moderator: LCR Members

Meesonia
Learner Driver
LCR Membership Number: 0

Colours

Post by Meesonia »

Hi, can anyone enlighten me please as to Dragoon Red for a Series 2 please? I'm told there were very few that came out off the factory in that colour, and therefore even fewer left running. Also I have seen it referred to as the Alan Mann colour, but I'm not on this. Appreciate your thoughts, opinions etc.

Thanks for your help

Cheers

Ian
GoLotus
Front wheel lifter

Re: Colours

Post by GoLotus »

I tend to think of Dragoon as a series I colour, with the series IIs being "Red II".
Lansdown
Regular
LCR Membership Number: 2272

Post by Lansdown »

I believe that's correct - Dragoon Red was just for Series 1 LC's.
What's the paint code on the VIN tag? That should enable you to identify the correct colour.
Andy M
COMMITTEE MEMBER
LCR Membership Number: 896

Post by Andy M »

Hi All,

Never get hung up with definatives with these cars what should be and what shouldn't be. Although the parts book is correct most of the time don't be surprised when things are not always as they are printed.

I had a 1970 Series 2 1600E in Dragoon Red back in 1976.
I had some repair work done to the rear arch when someone pulled out onto me at a junction.
At the time no one apart from Ford had a parts book so I went to Norman Reeves in Uxbridge and asked what the Paint Code CU was and they told me Dragoon Red! They gave me the other Ford Reds at the time Monaco Red and Red 11 which I think also can be called Red 65 and Red 67

I was told it was Dragoon Red from the previous owner when I bought the car in the first place as I liked the colour.
Nobody in those days had any Anoraks and would know that it was as Series 1 colour. Its only subsequently since the cars have had a following that we have become privvy to such information.
Anyway when the MK IV Cortina Ghia was launched later in 1976 I fell in love with Ford Roman Bronze and repainted it all over in that colour. The silly things we do, I wouldn't dream of colour changing a car these days!

Andy M
Meesonia
Learner Driver

Post by Meesonia »

Thanks guys, the owner is telling me the VIN tag is showing the correct code for Dragoon Red, but I'm going to see the car next week so we'll see. Thanks so far.

Ian
wiseliteguy
Learner Driver

Post by wiseliteguy »

There is a 1967 Mk2 for sale near me, Texas USA, that is reported to be a Canadian import, LHD, and the color is Alpina Green. The VIN is BA91GD68059. Can anyone advise if this color is correct and if this appears to be a real Lotus Cortina? It is presently listed in Hemmings.
martin k
Minilite monster
LCR Membership Number: 1981

Post by martin k »

opec v8 on here has an alpina green car:) lovely colour.