Anything related to Lotus Cortinas. (Open to the public.)
Moderator: LCR Members
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Learner Driver
- Posts: 14
- Joined: Tue 16th Oct 2018 4:25 pm
- LCR Membership Number: 2573
Please can someone confirm what size the brake and clutch master cylinders should be. The ones on the car I am rebuilding are 5/8 Brake ( large unit ) and 3/4 Clutch ( small unit ). Its a 64 L/C and my research suggests the brakes should be 3/4.
- Peter Meyer
- Posts: 1719
- Joined: Fri 5th Jun 2009 12:00 am
- LCR Membership Number: 2229
- Location: Sydney. Australia
I think the .7 are hard to find. There is an old factory service bulletin about this and the wrong size can give you lock up problems I'm lead to believe.
- Posts: 1671
- Joined: Fri 9th Feb 2007 1:00 am
- LCR Membership Number: 1693
- Location: Larne Co. Antrim N.Ireland
Very early cars had 0.75" brake master cylinder and 0.75" rear wheel cylinders, but this was changed to 0.7" brake master cylinder and 0.7" rear wheel cylinders. I believe this was due to rear brake locking problems, but even with the correct 0.7" master and wheel cylinders fitted, my car had too much rear brakes and was prone to end up sideways in heavy braking situations.