Hi - Some help needed

Anything related to Lotus Cortinas. (Open to the public.)

Moderator: LCR Members

Sach1
Learner Driver
LCR Membership Number: 0

Hi - Some help needed

Post by Sach1 »

Hi all

I'm a blue blooded Ford nut that grew up on classic Fords. I currently own around 9 mk2 Sports, a mk2 RS 2000, a mk1 Twincam replica, a mk2 panelvan and will start work on a mk1 2 door 1100 shell.

As luck would have it, I've stumbled upon what can only be described as my dream car, in a Lotus Cortina - one of the Production touring Cars with the Cosworth fettled Lotus lump.

I'm head over heels and keen to buy it, but hoping I can get some info on any previous owners, or any history on this car. The plate is 7070 KO, and I am a little concerned around whether the car is original as the ID tag reads Z75, instead of Z74 as I would expect it to.

Any info or contacts that you lot can provide will be most highly appreciated before I purchase the car.

Thank you kindly

Sachin
Keith Halstead
LCR Membership Number: 1711

Re: Hi - Some help needed

Post by Keith Halstead »

Hi there - here's some info.

75 denotes 4 door deluxe according to the book but 125E on the plate is Lotus :?:

http://www.lotus-cortina.com/photos/707 ... ko-pic.htm

David Haynes raced 7070 KO (although always displayed 250 DBH), against the likes of Jim Clark and Jack Sears.

The EXWAY tax disc holder shows that Trevor Barefoot has been involved so PM devonboy on here & he will no doubt explain why Z75 is the VIN prefix.
Rob
Woodrim
LCR Membership Number: 2080

Post by Rob »

Very nice
That looks expensive
Rick
COMMITTEE MEMBER
LCR Membership Number: 1292

Post by Rick »

Hi Sach

there were some cars that had the prefix z75, we think that this was an admin error as it only happened for short period of time and all the cars are in the same batch of chassis numbers, 7070KO was owned by a guy around the corner from me, he restored it in around 91-92, unless anything has dramatically changed since then it was a correct car, if you need any more info on the car please pm me.
Michael Winstock
Mr Picky
LCR Membership Number: 39

Post by Michael Winstock »

In admiring the engine bay of 7070 KO, I was reminded of one little detail that I seldom see as correct......i.e. the way the temperature gauge capillary should be coiled to prevent vibration.
The coils chold be immediately after the tube exits the cylinder head and in the fore and aft plane, not across the engine bay.
The coils on 7070 KO look mighty close to the (red hot) exhaust manifold.
Picky enough for older readers?
Keith Halstead
LCR Membership Number: 1711

Post by Keith Halstead »

Michael Winstock wrote:In admiring the engine bay of 7070 KO, I was reminded of one little detail that I seldom see as correct......i.e. the way the temperature gauge capillary should be coiled to prevent vibration.
The coils chold be immediately after the tube exits the cylinder head and in the fore and aft plane, not across the engine bay.
chold :?: :?: Now that's picky..... :oops:
Pete G
Woodrim
LCR Membership Number: 278

Post by Pete G »

Michael Winstock wrote:In admiring the engine bay of 7070 KO, I was reminded of one little detail that I seldom see as correct......i.e. the way the temperature gauge capillary should be coiled to prevent vibration.
I just don't believe it!
Nice one Michael, I wasn't aware of that specific point!
My temp gauge shows 90 C when stone cold and off scale when hot,- but that is a duff gauge I need to fix!
Michael Winstock
Mr Picky
LCR Membership Number: 39

Post by Michael Winstock »

Keith.......well spotted, and due to yet another senior moment. Chold should read should, shouldn't it?
I think the help requested in this post's title should be of the psychiactric variety.
Steve 155C
Site Admin
LCR Membership Number: 2037

Post by Steve 155C »

The last I heard I thought this car was exported...can't remember where but I thought it was HK or Singapore. I was in touch with the guy that bought it. I seem to recall it is for sale for about £70K and that was about 10 years ago. A great car .
Sach1
Learner Driver

Post by Sach1 »

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

Keith, I can't believe I didn't think of putting the plate number in google :oops:

The car is pretty much exactly as it was in those pics and seems to just have some slight paint issues, but again, exactly as they are in those pics, and yes, she lives in Singapore now.

Yes, the asking price is on the high end, but I'm trying to find a way to get to a realistic price point with the current owner.

Rick, I'll pop you a pm now.

Cheers gents.
Steve 155C
Site Admin
LCR Membership Number: 2037

Post by Steve 155C »

I would expect this car to be well into the 6 figure price bracket by now. If you buy it will it stay in Singapore or be exported elsewhere? It's a well travelled car...UK, US, UK, Singapore, next stop ???
Sach1
Learner Driver

Post by Sach1 »

If I buy it, she will go home with me to South Africa at some point.

Depending on work, I may be in Australia or New Zealand before that, and she will go with.

This car may have more stamps in her passport than most. :D