suspension oddities

Anything related to Lotus Cortinas. (Open to the public.)

Moderator: LCR Members

Pete T
Learner Driver
LCR Membership Number: 0

suspension oddities

Post by Pete T »

Hi everyone, I'm Pete. New to the Register but in my defence I had a MK2 LC many years ago (sold for peanuts, sadly).

I have a quick question for you more knowledgeable types: I was looking at a Mk1 LC the other day. It's fitted with leaf springs AND with the A frame struts in the boot. I may be getting old but surely that can't be right?

Thanks
Pete
Keith Halstead
LCR Membership Number: 1711

Re: suspension oddities

Post by Keith Halstead »

Many were converted to leaf sprung cars due to axle failures in the 60's. It's more common than you think - now people are restoring them back to A frames.

Date for change over was around July 1965 - did you get a build date for that one?
Pete T
Learner Driver

Post by Pete T »

Thanks Keith. I see your point.

The car looks a bit of an oddity, with a mix of a pre-airflow front end and an airflow body. It's on a C plate but I didn't ask when it was built.

The guy said it said he'd just got it shipped from Japan and re-registered. Strangely it doesn't have a brake servo. The brakes seemed to be just the "both-feet-on-the-pedal-and-arse-out-of-the-seat" arrangement I remember from my youth.

Lack of a brake servo is I suppose a matter of choice (or a lack of imagination), but do you know whether there was also a crossover and some mixing of body styling when the aero was introduced?

I'm sorry for the quiz but Lotus Cortinas are like bikes, once you've run them you can't help but go over and have a look and a chat. This one left me a bit puzzled.

By the way, great forum!
Pete
Keith Halstead

Post by Keith Halstead »

A missing servo is nothing - lots were removed as very unreliable. They are refitted during restos for originality.

The main thing, like any car, is if in doubt get it verified by the club before parting with cash.

The aeroflow look was grafted onto many pre-aeroflow cars to make them look more 'modern' in the day as I have seen a few which have been reverted on restoration for correctness.

What looks early & what looks late?

See if you can get the VIN number.
Rick
COMMITTEE MEMBER
LCR Membership Number: 1292

Post by Rick »

Hi Pete

As Keith said, sometimes the servo's were removed, but the mounting holes should still be there on the inner wing, if you do manage to get a vin/chassis number PM me and I will see what we have on the car and give you a date of manufacture
Pete T
Learner Driver

Post by Pete T »

Hi chaps. Many thanks.
I saw the car on a supermarket car park and I was puzzling over the mix of aero/pre-aero when the owner turned up.
He popped the bonnet and boot and showed me the struts, which caught me out because I'd seen the leaf springs and I noticed the absence of the servo. I didn't want to question his obvious pride and joy because, as usual these days, the car was a beaut.
Keith, you asked what looked early and what looked late. The front end had separate front s/lights, the rest was apparently aero with pillar vents, non-opening rear side windows and dashboard was the later four dial row.
Keith Halstead

Post by Keith Halstead »

Pete T wrote:Hi chaps. Many thanks.
I saw the car on a supermarket car park and I was puzzling over the mix of aero/pre-aero when the owner turned up.
He popped the bonnet and boot and showed me the struts, which caught me out because I'd seen the leaf springs and I noticed the absence of the servo. I didn't want to question his obvious pride and joy because, as usual these days, the car was a beaut.
Keith, you asked what looked early and what looked late. The front end had separate front s/lights, the rest was apparently aero with pillar vents, non-opening rear side windows and dashboard was the later four dial row.
Could be either an upgrade then or a front end replacement with front panel & wings from an early car although why do that? I have see a car fitting that description for sale in the past year or so. :?:
Pete T
Learner Driver

Post by Pete T »

The guy said he'd only just imported it, so it's probably not the same one you saw Keith. I didn't make a note of the reg. but it was on a C. It was a bonny car even if unusual.

If he's on this forum maybe he'll chirp up.