New boy? well not quite!

Anything related to Lotus Cortinas. (Open to the public.)

Moderator: LCR Members

chris vince
Learner Driver
LCR Membership Number: 455

New boy? well not quite!

Post by chris vince »

Good evening All,
I am in a bit of a dilemma, I am a new boy on here (deciding to grab IT by the neck as I detest computers), but definitely not new to the LCR.
I joined waaaay back in 1980 (mem No 455) when I first bought my 1966 Mk1 S/E, I did contribute quite a few articles in the Quarter Bumper in those days, but then work and family took over and I dropped out, although I have been a LCR member continuously since then, I still have every single QB since I joined.
I still have my Mk1, 36 years of ownership now!
I received the new Euro red V5 a while ago, and had forgotten that I am only it's second recorded keeper, this I dispute as according to Essex CC records dept. it was originally registered to Ford Motor Company, where it was used as a team managers car for the '66 season, this fact is not on the V5.
I bought a Mk2 phase 1 L/C some 34 years ago and have only got as far as the welding repairs to this, but now that I have retired, I hope to get back into the joys(?) of L/C ownership.
I have to embarrassingly admit that the Mk1 has not been on the road since the year 2000, but then this has kept the recorded speedo mileage down to only 24,000 miles.
I would like to say a very belated hello again to anyone on here who may remember me from the past? And look forward to taking an active part in the community again.
Keith Halstead
LCR Membership Number: 1711

Re: New boy? well not quite!

Post by Keith Halstead »

Welcome (back) Chris - what's the reg of your SE ?

You must remember Don Matheson then as he was around the LCR then as he gave me issue 1 of the QB.

Don still has his SE from way back in the 60's - now fully restored to better than new.
chris vince
Learner Driver

Post by chris vince »

Hello Keith,
It's STW 901D, I recall that the LCR did an investigation in the early 80's that showed 901 to 909 were Ford factory owned, this is born out by the certificate I got from Essex CC that did indeed show mine as being registered by Ford, the eight were used in various guises, mine was the team managers car and the others being press and race cars, these had a very hard life and are believed not to have survived, I may be wrong?
The ownership by Ford is not recorded however by DVLA, but funny things happened in those days.
My Mk2 is MEG ???F (I forget the numbers).
I do remember Don's name, we never met though.
Keith Halstead
LCR Membership Number: 1711

Post by Keith Halstead »

chris vince wrote:Hello Keith,
It's STW 901D.....

Proper Essex car then - would be nice to see some pics up here if you have any. Still in Essex? :?:
chris vince
Learner Driver

Post by chris vince »

I am not the best with IT, but will post some.
It has been a Hampshire car since the late 1970's and will soon be a Dorset car as we are moving in a couple of years; as soon as I finish building the house we are working on.
Pete G
Woodrim
LCR Membership Number: 278

Post by Pete G »

Welcome Chris
We must be of the same era,- I joined in the 80s (mem No 278) and also have an SE I've owned for 40 years,- don't be embarrassed by it not being on the road since 2000, that's recent to some owners including me!
Where are you and are you able to get to some of the shows that other owners get to?
chris vince
Learner Driver

Post by chris vince »

Hello Pete,
At the moment we are in Farnborough Hampshire, but will be moving to Sturminster Newton in Dorset.
I used to do the 'shows' in the 80's, even getting a second place at the Autotrader show one year, but can't really see it happening again any time soon, it would surely end in divorce.
As I write we are in our 'retirement' house, that we have been refurbing and extending to move into, we have no heating, cooker or water if the farmer is watering his horses, I can't really tell 'er indoors' that I am having a couple of days off to go to a car show, you would hear the shouting even where you are!