Lotus wood steering wheel

Anything related to Lotus Cortinas. (Open to the public.)

Moderator: LCR Members

Keith Halstead
LCR Membership Number: 1711

Post by Keith Halstead »

L2Man wrote:I just checked my bumps and can only count two....
You've got MOOBS ? :wink:
L2Man
Woodrim
LCR Membership Number: 2222

Post by L2Man »

I was lower down than there Keith but then again it all merges a bit these days...............

where's me Valium................ :lol:
Gerry
Learner Driver
LCR Membership Number: 0

Post by Gerry »

Hi Guys. Seems I've stirred up quite a controversy here. Is it possible that this is a wheel for a MKII Lotus Cortina. I don't believe that a Ford dealer would change a boss on a steering wheel and then sell it in their parts dept.
I don't know about Britian but here in Canada Elans were sold only by the Lotus dealer and the Lotus Cortina was sold through the Ford dealer.
I didn't see anything close to my wheel on the Springall website either.
Gerry
Keith Halstead
LCR Membership Number: 1711

Post by Keith Halstead »

Gerry wrote:Hi Guys. Seems I've stirred up quite a controversy here. Is it possible that this is a wheel for a MKII Lotus Cortina. I don't believe that a Ford dealer would change a boss on a steering wheel and then sell it in their parts dept.
I don't know about Britian but here in Canada Elans were sold only by the Lotus dealer and the Lotus Cortina was sold through the Ford dealer.
I didn't see anything close to my wheel on the Springall website either.
Gerry
The spline pattern is the same for Mk1 & MkII wheels - boss depths did vary depending on the series of the MkII.
David Baldock
Woodrim
LCR Membership Number: 57

Post by David Baldock »

Hello Gerry,

It's an interesting one. Thank's for posting it.

Seems then that you have an original Mk1 LC boss & an original elan wheel. I wonder what they would fetch if sold individually?

I don't know too much about Mk2's but I didn't think they fitted woodrim wheels. I'm sure someone will tell us.

Regards.

Dave B
Steering wheel
Learner Driver
LCR Membership Number: 2332

Post by Steering wheel »

The wood rim is original Springall rim but has been fitted later (in my opinion) because the original wood rim with the smaller finger grips was broken, is type of wooden Springall rim with the larger finger grips was fitted to a lot 1960's car's with different spoke's and bosses, some of these wood rim's would take the spokes for the air flow Lotus Cortina because the slots in the wood rim would match up with the Lotus Cortina spoke's.

So as Scott said it's all original, but may not have started life together.

A very nice wheel and valuable.

Len C
Gerry
Learner Driver
LCR Membership Number: 0

Post by Gerry »

Thanks for the help from everyone. The wheel is now in a very good home in a MkI Lotus Cortina in England.
Gerry [/img]