KPO 303D

Want to find out if your old LC is still about? Leave details here.

Moderator: LCR Members

baron_beeza
Learner Driver
LCR Membership Number: 0

KPO 303D

Post by baron_beeza »

Posted a little about the car in introductions.

http://lotuscortina.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=2512

It was only on the road for a little over 6 years before being parked up and left to rot as a MOT failure.
A barn find some years later and then made the move overseas to more favourable climes.
I will post photos of the stripping down etc soon, basically an unmolested vehicle. One steering arm was incorrect but all else was as you would expect with a 2 owner, six year old car.

I am hoping some old photos will resurface, the car was owned by the Piper aircraft Sales Manager..... I like to dream that there may even be an aircraft advertisement with the car featured..
Mark Cramond
Front wheel lifter
LCR Membership Number: 2071

Post by Mark Cramond »

Where abouts are you located Mr Beeza? I would be very interested in having a look at your find. Cheers.
cortina-mk1
Front wheel lifter

Post by cortina-mk1 »

new zealand
baron_beeza
Learner Driver

Post by baron_beeza »

Yes, West Island , New Zealand..... about 4 hours flying North West of Victoria.

Should be back in the South Island briefly before winter though. I will post details and photos then.
Steve 155C
Site Admin
LCR Membership Number: 2037

Post by Steve 155C »

HI Beeza, so whats the story of its trip half way around the world? Did you export the car yourself?
baron_beeza
Learner Driver

Post by baron_beeza »

I get to trip about a bit, collecting bits of junk as I go I guess. Fortunately I have wisely sent some of the more interesting stuff back. The last container had a tipped up aircraft in it, - yet another project.

I remember trying to sent three bricks back from England one year, - the packers must have thought I was crazy, .... or the dockers took a fancy to them. They never did make it with the rest of my pack up.

I don't know if many here appreciate how the Internet has changed things. Back when I bought these cars video cameras had only just been released, Walkmans, about the same, just coming on to the market.
Forget digital camera and the like.... Polaroid Land camera were the means to a quick photo.
Mobile phones, ..... nope. - still a few years away.

It just seems so strange that you can sit in your lounge and just envisage the work. The earth is shrinking, - and fast. That said, I have discovered that you have to be in pretty close proximity to the project to actually get things done.
That must change one day also......... perhaps I can just wait..

Anyone got one of those new fangled wand thingies ?
baron_beeza
Learner Driver

Post by baron_beeza »

A little more on the history of my car.

KPO 303D was originally sold from the Dealers', D Rowe &Co, in Chichester in March 1966. It is a Ford build of January 1966 so had been through Cheshunt and onto the dealers within 2 months. Vyrell Mitchell had the car until early 1968 when ownership transferred to John F MacEwan of Berkshire. I have addresses for him of Wantage, Didcot (Upton) and finally Dorchester on Thames.

It is Mr MacEwan that seems to have racked up the mileage....From 57,000 in early 1970 to 86,000 in early 1972. With the car eventually expiring on 103,000 miles later that year.

I have postal addresses for Mr MacEwan during that period and again would be very interested to discover any further history of the vehicle.

Vyrell Mitchell had an Angmering address, Ham Manor Close, at least when he bought the vehicle new.